Onako Kala, 5, shows off his scars while being held by his aunt, Yunila Minombulo. Photo: UNATHI OBOSE
- The Langa community expressed relief after the bail application of a woman who allegedly threw boiling water at a 5-year-old child was denied.
- The prosecution also decided to change the charge from assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to attempted murder.
- The case has been postponed to September 20 for further investigation.
The Langa community are delighted after hearing their pleas to Bishop Lavis Magistrates Court to deny the bail application of a woman accused of throwing boiling water on a child in Settlers, Langa.
The court denied Asanda Makaluza’s bail request on Friday.
How safe is your neighborhood? Find out using News24’s CrimeCheck
The case has been postponed to September 20 for further investigation.
Macalusa was initially charged with assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after what was alleged to be the case threw boiling water on 5-year-old Unako Kala on June 24 for preventing him from playing near the gate in her home. The charge has since been changed to attempted murder, according to the Western Cape’s National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, Eric Ntapazela.
Langa District Council member Luazi Vakadi said the community was “happy” that the bail application had been denied.
According to Vacady, the judge called Macalusa “arrogant and unhesitating” and said she was “cruel and dangerous to society.”
The incident caused outrage and astonishment in the community. How can an adult woman pour water on her child and then be arrogant when people come to her with complaints? the society [was] She demands that she not be released on bail.
The family was “heartbroken,” the child’s aunt, Yunila Minumbulo, told News24. She said Kala was complaining of burns and had to go regularly for check-up visits at the clinic.
“Yesterday he felt a lot of pain. Some wounds are still on his body and are bleeding. He was screaming in pain,” Mneumpolo said.
She added that his mother was in the Eastern Cape.
Mneumpolo was grateful for the support he received from the community.
“I want to thank them for going so far as to help us. They always make sure the baby is okay.”
Community members and EFF members were in court.
About 50 people protested outside the courtroom, said the EFF’s Regional Secretary for Cape Metro, Panzi D’Ambuza.
He told News24: “As the EFF, we support the family but are disgusted at the way SAPS handled the case. The family opened the case on June 24 but nothing happened for two weeks.”
“They come from the poorest communities and we are worried that the family will not get proper justice,” he added.