It is alleged that VIP unit officers assaulted people along the Gauteng Highway.
- The Independent Police Investigation Directorate (IPID) said it had spoken to the eight senior policemen individually, as well as through their lawyers, that they should turn themselves in to the police.
- Spokesman Robby Rapurabo said that if important policemen do not do so, IPID will arrest them.
- He said the men would be taken into custody at Sandton police station on Sunday night and appear at Randburg Magistrates Court on Monday.
The eight high-ranking police officers caught on camera striking and kicking motorists on the motorway were expected to turn themselves in at Sandton police station on Sunday night.
Robbie Rapurabo, a spokesman for the Independent Police Investigation Directorate, said they have already spoken to the men individually and also through their lawyers.
“we [have] They have already made arrangements with their lawyers, and are going to turn themselves in. And those who will not turn themselves in, we will go and arrest.”
According to Rapurabo, the men will be taken into custody at Sandton Police Station on Sunday night, and appear in Randburg Magistrates Court on Monday.
“There they will be formally charged and apply for bail.
But the victims will not be there.
News24 previously reported that the victims, who were driving a blue Volkswagen Polo, initially thought they were being kidnapped, as VIP officers allegedly tried to run them off the road.
Forcing the Polo to stop on the side of the highway, several officers allegedly got out and tried to break the driver’s window with an assault rifle.
“They smashed the window with the back of an assault rifle and gained access to the car,” said Ian Cameron, leader of the human rights group Action Society.
Then they beat him [the driver] with one of the guns in the back of his head, hitting his ear and jaw, after which they pulled him out of the car.”
The organization is pursuing civil charges against the Minister of Police on behalf of the victims.
Rapurabo said the victims were still traumatized.
He confirmed that four people were in the car at the time of the attack and that all the victims were South African National Defense Force trainees.
“They were in Gauteng at the time and training in [military base] Thapa Chuan.